The Theology of The Urantia Book
by Ruth Burton
A Study of God as Diversified Deity
Contents of this document:
God the Sevenfold
The Supreme Being
This document contains references
from The Urantia Book constituting a study of Deity.
It covers the integration of Trinitarian theology with an approach to a
Process theology not unrelated to that of Alfred North Whitehead.
References in [brackets] indicate Paper:Section.Paragraph
References in (parentheses) indicate page and paragraph numbers
in the original edition of The Urantia Book.
- A. God the Sevenfold
- 1. Definition. Who, or what, is God the Sevenfold?
- Deity Personality
- In seven levels
- Functioning in time and space. [F:V] (1270.2) (1159.No.4) (1164.3,4)
- Creator Sons
- Ancients of Days
- Seven Master Spirits
- These first three constitute the Supreme Creators who create and organize
- Supreme Being
- Evolves by synthesis of all universe factors. [106:2.1] (640.last)
- Paradise Deities are present in the Grand Universe in their representatives
and their circuits.
- The sevenfold physical controllers constitute a parallel phase of God
- (1160.nl) (1273.Sec.5) [116:5.1-9]
- 2. Relation to mortals
- Provides a seven-step approach to God for mortals, in the very order
of our ascent.
- Compensates for creature limitation of concept.
- Psychological necessity.
- Incomprehensibility of infinity. (35.3) (39.6) (1269.1ast)
- Contrast is helpful
- (51, Inevitabilities) (58.4)
- Reveals the love of the Father.
- 3. Long-felt human need for a sub-infinite God.
- (1663.nl) Jesus, re: Job
- (445.2) (109.5) A Being we can see and hear.
- (1030.5) Brahman philosophy.
- Quotes from modern thought (59.4,5,6)
- Revelation required to show that the infinite God and the finite are
one and the same.
- 4. Relation to the Supreme.
- [56:7.6] As the Supreme evolves, the activity of the Sevenfold decreases.
- Many references in Part B of this study, The Supreme Being, indicate
the major role of the Sevenfold in the evolution of the Supreme.
Part B: The Supreme Being
- B. The Supreme Being
- 1. Definitions
- (251.1a) Unification of three phases of Deity.
- (11.2-5 12.2) Foreword definition.
- [118.9.2] Personalization of all universe experience.
- [118:10.3] Synthesis of mind, matter, and spirit.
- [117:3.1] Complex synthesis of emerging finite realities.
- (1164.5,6) Deity culmination power-personality synthesis.
- (1171.7) Deity consequence
- 2. Three component sources of the Supreme Being.
- God the Supreme, in Havona, the personal spirit-reflection of the Trinity.
- [56:7.6] [56:6.2] [116:2.2] (1264.2)
- The Almighty Supreme, in the Grand Universe (Also sometimes called
God the Supreme; sometimes, the Supreme Being.)
- [117:6.1] Creatorlike and creaturelike.
- [116:5.1-9] List of physical controllers.
- [116:5.2] Evolving as controller of power in the Grand Universe
- (12.2) Almighty and Spirit-person one reality.
- The Supreme Mind, bestowed by the Infinite Spirit. (251,1b) [116:1.3]
- (1270.1ast) Mind of the Infinite Spirit.
- (1276.Sec.7) What the human mind is to the body, Supreme Mind is to
the Grand Universe
- Supreme Mind and reflectivity.
- [9:7.2-4] The most complex system in all creation.
- (105.5) May represent the emerging consciousness of the Supreme.
- (77.1) Supreme is aware of all events in Grand Universe
- (1272.2) Focalized in Majeston.
- (199.7 - 200) Origin of Majeston.
- 3. Relation to the Trinity.
- The Spirit-person of God the Supreme is from the Trinity. (See above.)
- The Trinity influences certain co-ordinating and totality functions
of the Almighty Supreme
- [10:7.3] Collaboration with Trinity as Trinity, not as Persons.
- [117:.7.10] Present Trinity administrators will continue as vicegerents
- [118:10.2-3] Function of Supreme related to totalities.
- 4. Growth of the Supreme.
- Compared to human soul. (1276.last) (1281.last) and (1282).
- Motion of synthesis is up-and-down, between Creators and creatures,
as well as crosswise between spirit and matter by means of mind.
- [115:6.4] [116:1.1] [117:1.2] [117:6.5-8]
- By means of God the Sevenfold.
- [106:2.1] By mandates of personality.
- [116:4.1] Infinite Spirit compensates for incompleteness.
- (1271.4,5) Summary of how Paradise Deities contribute.
- Contribution of Supreme Creators.
- Master Spirits (1272.4)
- Ancients of Days (1272.5)
- Creator Sons (1272.nl) (1273.2,3)
- Sevenfold Controllers also involved in power-personality synthesis.
- [116:1.3] [116:0.4] [116:5.1-9] [116:5.2] (1273.Sec.5) (140.8)
- Triodities as a source of the Supreme.
- [9:7.4] [118:10.2] [117:3.2] [115:6.3] [104:5.1, 2-6] [104:5.7-11]
- (1151.last) (1158.6) (1159.1) (1262.nl - 1263.nl)
- 5. Relation to creatures.
- [117:6.2] [56:8.2] [116:1.1] [56:6.4] [117:6.5-8] [115:0.1] [117:4.2]
- (48.nl) (1273.5) (1275.6) (1276.2) (1281.Sec.3)
- 6. The future of the Supreme
- [117:7.9] [117:0.2] [117:5.1] [117:7.11]
- [56:8.1] [56:6.4] [101:2.3] [106:2.3, 5] [116:7.6] [117:1.2]
Part C: The Trinity
- C. The Trinity
- 1. Introduction.
- Urantian Trinity concepts.
- [104:1.1-3] [104:1.6,8] (1143.Sec.1)
- 2. Definitions.
- [56:5.1] Deity unity.
- [10:4.3] Compared to a corporation.
- (1167.5,7) Deity reality not personality reality.
- (1144.5) Three-fold manifestation of one God.
- (1145. last) Superadditive deity reality.
- 3. Human difficulties in understanding the Trinity.
- (31.last) (58.7b) (113.2) (114.1) (1145.3,4) (1261.1ast)
- 4. Necessity and inevitability of the Trinity.
- Otherwise, no differentials, no diversity, no evolutionary universe.
- (1146.nl) [10:5.2] [10:0.1,3]
- (91.1-5) Soil and seeds for the superuniverses
- True personality demands other and equal personality.
- 5. Functions of the Trinity
- Justice administration. [104:2.1] [10:6.2]
- Totality and coordinating interests. [10:7.2] [10:4.1] (112.last)
- Relation to the Supreme. -- Providence. [10:5.1] [10:5.4]
- 6. Agents for carrying out Trinity functions.
- Stationary Sons.
- [18:1.8] [10:6.1] [10:0.2] [10:6.4] [18:1.1] [18:2.1]
- [18:3.2] [10:6.1] [18:3.1-3] [18:4.1-2] [18:5.1] [18:6.1-2] [18:7.1]
- Co-ordinate Trinity-origin beings.
- [19:2.1] [19:3.1] [19:4.1] [19:4.4] [19:5.1] [19:5.2] [19:5.4]
- The Triunities.
- [104:1.6] [104:1.8] [104:1.2] [104:2.4] [104:3.6] [104:3.7-8]
- [104:4.1] [104:4.14] [104:3.7] [104:4.9-13] [104:4.2-6] [104:4.8-12]
- [104:15-19] [104:4.2-6] [104:4.7-11] [104:4.13] [115:2.1]
- 7. Experiential Trinities.
- Supreme, Ultimate, Absolute.
Part D: The Absolutes
- D. The Absolutes
- [106:8.1-4] [106:8.6] [106:9.1] [106:9.6] [F:XI] [106:5.1] [106:6.4-5]
- 1. The Absolute, the term used to designate the final culmination of
experiential Deity progression.
- The experiential Deities
- God the Supreme. (Detailed in Part B above)
- Summary of evolution of Supreme. (1164.1 - 1165.3)
- God the Ultimate.
- Definitions. [F:I.10] [F:II.14] [F:IX] [12:6.3] [106:4.2-3] [105:7.2]
- Summary of integration of God the Ultimate. (1166.Sec.4)
- The transcendental level.
- [31:9.1-2] [31:10.1-4] [105:7.3-15]
- Meaning of absonite.
- Meaning of transcendental.
- [105:7.3-13] (1159.Sec.7)
- Supervision of the Master Universe
- God the Absolute.
- Summary. (1168.2-6)
- Relation to the Universal Absolute. (1172.1-3)
- Linking beginnings and completion. [118:5.1]
- Universe ages. Master Universe Hypothesis (p.7-9 W.S.S.Jr.)
- Promulgation of finite and absonite reality
- [105:5.2] [6:1.1] [105:6.1-5] (1158 - 1160)
- The infinite future. [106:7]
- Possible final unification of infinite reality. (1173.Sec.9) (118:8.5-6]
Our limitations are our only means of growth.
- 2. The three Absolutes.
- Deity Absolute Definition. [F:XI.4]
- Relation to the Eternal Son. [3:1.9] [6:5.2] [7:1.11]
- Majeston (199.1ast)
- Final identity with God the Absolute? See references above, under God
- Unqualified Absolute Definition. [F:XI.6-8]
- Function. [11:2.1] [56:1.2]
- Repository of uncreated universes (45.nl) (126.4,5)
- Nether Paradise (122.Sec.5)
- Master Force Organizers and physical energy. (469.Sec.2)
- Universal Absolute Definition and function. [F:XI.9] [56:9.1] [56:9.3]
- Relation to God the Absolute. (1172.1,3)
- 3. The seven Absolutes.
- Relation to the First Source and Center [F:3.1] (1146.last - 1147.2)
- Relation to the Supreme Being (1261, 1262, 1263)
- Relation to experiential Deity progression. (1298)
Ruth Burton MTR 12/8/65 1/24/66
A Service of
The Urantia Book Fellowship